Ivanhoe Girls’ is proud of the outstanding facilities it provides to support quality teaching and learning. Whilst high quality teaching will always be the most important factor in effective student learning, facilities do make a difference. Excellent facilities inspire and promote both learners and teachers to achieve their very best.
At Ivanhoe Girls’ our facilities are designed especially to support girls’ learning. Whether it be in our beautifully restored Federation Houses within which our Junior School classrooms are housed, or each secondary level which has its own Year Level Centre, the learning environment at Ivanhoe Girls’ is designed to enhance collaboration and teamwork.
Early Learning Centre
Our Kinder and PrePrep girls are housed in the St James’ House Early Learning Centre in Noel Street. Formerly the vicarage, the beautiful Federation house has been restored to provide outstanding indoor and outdoor learning spaces tailored to the learning needs of 3 – 5 year old girls.
The classrooms for girls from Prep to Year 6 are also accommodated in suitably renovated Federation houses set in beautifully landscaped gardens. Each unique classroom, fully equipped with interactive whiteboards and appropriate ICT access and facilities, provides a home away from home for the girls.
The Junior School girls also utilise a wide range of specialist facilities including:
- The junior area of the Library in our new Cooerwull Centre, complete with outstanding resources, research zone, quiet reading zones and teaching spaces
- Computer laboratories, in addition to the desktop and laptop computers in their classrooms
- Music facilities, including performing arts spaces, teaching and instrumental music rooms in our Performing Arts Centre
- Art facilities, specifically tailored to junior girls in our Hillsley Visual Arts and Hospitality Complex. Within Hillsley there is also the opportunity to use the ceramics studio and other specialist facilities
- Pool and gymnasium in the Shilliday Physical Education Centre. Perceptual Motor Program classes are held in the Hillsley Complex multipurpose room
- An all weather synthetic outdoor sports field, comprising netball courts, tennis courts as well as facilities for athletics and hockey together with the Hillsley multipurpose room, enables students to participate in outdoor activities under a wide range of weather conditions.
All Senior School classrooms are equipped with interactive whiteboards and wireless access to both the School network as well as the internet. The wireless network is available throughout the School. Each year group has its own individual Year Level Centre, which also houses their lockers. The respective Year Level Coordinator is also located in the Centre. Our Café, housed in the Cooerwull Centre, provides healthy and nutritious food and a large indoor eating area and terraced outdoor space.
Senior girls also use a wide range of specialist learning facilities including:
- The redeveloped Doris Walker Centre which provides a 170 seat tertiary-style lecture theatre with an optional stage area and full video conferencing facilities, a foyer space for refreshments and breakout space, increased accessibility via a lift, together with six new classrooms and two additional instrumental music rooms
- The senior area of the Library in the Cooerwull Centre, complete with outstanding resources, research areas, quiet reading areas and teaching space
- Modern, well-equipped science laboratories (six) including specialist Biology, Chemistry and Physics laboratories
- Specialist music and performing arts facilities in our Performing Arts Centre and Parish Hall. The Performing Arts Centre houses a recital hall of outstanding acoustic quality, which is fully air conditioned with tiered seating for 500 patrons. There is a flat performance area of 150 square metres. In addition to private meeting, rehearsal and teaching spaces, two large foyers and catering facilities are available. The Parish Hall has been the home of Drama and Theatre Studies at Ivanhoe Girls’ for many years and has recently reopened after a major refurbishment
- The Visual Arts facility in our Hillsley Complex gives students the opportunity to work in a variety of two and three dimensional media, including glass, ceramics, screen-printing, metalwork and painting. It provides first class display facilities and allows for the integration of Visual Arts through the entire School. The central glazed atrium provides links to all areas of the complex. The former Church area itself provides a gallery space for student work to be displayed throughout the year, as well as doubling as a function area and general purpose meeting space
- The facilities for Health and Hospitality and Food Technology incorporate skills-based (domestic and commercial facilities) for class groups, together with an adjacent eating area, as well as an area for vocational education training (VET) which is taught in conjunction with William Angliss College
- The School has an all-weather synthetic sportsfield which can be configured to provide four netball and tennis courts, running track, long jump pit as well as accommodating a variety of other sports. An indoor 25 metre pool, plexipave basketball court and multipurpose gymnasium are also very well used. We are also at the planning stage of designing a new fitness centre for our girls and staff to use
- Over the next few years, our facilities will continue to develop as we build learning spaces to meet the requirements of our current and future students.